How Toxic Are You?
If you are unsure as to how you may be absorbing toxins, answer the questions in this survey and add up the number you have said ‘Yes’ to. The higher the number, the more toxic – and in need of a detox – you are likely to be.
Food and drink
On a regular basis, do you eat or drink the following?
• coffee or tea
• fizzy soft drinks
• white bread and pasta rather than wholemeal varieties
• mostly non-organic produce
• fried foods
• ready-made meals
• processed foods (canned or frozen sauces and ketchup)
• sweets and crisps
• processed meat – ham, bacon, sausages, etc
• diet products
• tap water (or use it for cooking and hot drinks)
• non-organic fruit and vegetables without first peeling or washing them
• non-organic leafy vegetables without first removing the outer leaves
• non-organic root vegetables without first scrubbing and peeling them
• Do you live in a city?
• Do you walk or run alongside busy roads?
• Do you regularly swim in a chlorinated pool?
• Do you drive a car?
• Do you work in an air-conditioned office?
• Do you use a mobile phone?
• Do you live near an electricity substation or pylons?
• Do you work at a computer?
• Is your home centrally heated?
• Is your home double glazed?
• Have you recently had a course of treatment for wood or damp carried out in your home?
• Have you recently bought soft furnishings?
• Do you regularly use household cleaning products?
• Do you smoke?
• Do you live near a busy main road or power station!
• Do you experience a lot of stress at work and/or at home!
• Do you have dry skin or hair?
• Do you get skin problems, such as eczema?
• Are you constantly tired?
• Do you find it hard to concentrate?
• Do you get sinus problems?
• Are you constipated?
• Do you get night sweats?
• Do you crave sugary foods?
• Do you crave savoury foods?
• Do you frequently get headaches?
• Do you suffer from water retention?
• Do you experience flatulence or bloating?
• Do you have problems sleeping?
Signs of Toxicity – do you suffer from any of the following:
• aches and pains
• bad breath
• blackheads and whiteheads
• bleeding gums
• blocked sinuses
• blotchy skin
• constant colds or infections
• dark circles under eyes
• difficulty concentrating
• mood swings
• Sore, red tongue
• itchy or red eyes
• joint pains
• puffiness/water retention
• runny nose
• skin rashes
• sore throat
• streaming nose/constant sneezing
• strong-smelling urine
Also, be aware of symptoms without an obvious cause that crop up regularly or are persistent, such as skin rashes. They may be a sign of toxicity.
How did you fare in the lifestyle survey? If you answered ‘Yes’ to more than three questions in each area, your body is working under a serious amount of pressure and it’s time you gave your system a well-earned holiday and treated yourself to a detox.
But you don’t need to have scored high marks on the lifestyle survey to benefit from a detox. If you are already healthy, a detox will ensure you stay that way.