There are ways to make sure that you enjoy exercise. Before you start any exercise you have to think about what you are about to do. Take away any of the worry or hassle associated with it before you start.
• Consult your doctor. If you have any medical problems at all, then see your family doctor before you do any exercise. Your doctor will advise you about anything you need to avoid or be careful with. If you get the OK from your doctor then you can stop worrying about whether it is going to be harmful to you.
• Decide what exercise you are going to do. Many people join a gym. This is the most sensible course of action, especially if it has been years since you have exercised. You can begin with a rounded programme tailored to your needs and as non-stressful as possible to the temporarily weak joints of your body.
• Pick a gym near to your home. Very near. That way you are more likely to go if it is only round the corner. Imagine it is the middle of winter. You are just home from work, and it is your gym night. The thought of a 45-minute drive to the gym is more than enough to make you think that for tonight you can avoid it. If you have any other plans for that evening, then you will start to resent the amount of time it takes for you to go to the gym.
• Pick a gym with nice changing rooms. I once attended a gym, briefly, and the only reason I stopped going was because the changing rooms were so cold, I could not face it any more.
• Pick a gym offering exercise classes. All you have to do is turn up. Once you are in the class there is no backing out. On those days when you lack motivation you will still get a good workout.
• Pick a cheaper gym. They can be just as good as a very expensive one and you will not end up resenting all the money you pay just for the privilege of a workout.